Distribution of Non-Library Materials Policy
As a service to the public, the Akron-Summit County Public Library allows materials from non-library organizations for distribution and posting throughout the library system. The Library maintains designated areas in each location such as bulletin boards and literature racks for the passive distribution of information.
To request this free service, please review the guidelines accompanied in this policy and complete the Distribution of Non-Library Materials Request Form.
Terms for Use
All materials posted or distributed must comply with this policy and any other applicable Library regulations or guidelines. No other materials may be posted or distributed. The material should be of civic, cultural, educational or informational interest or value related to programs or events of a local nature sponsored or presented by local non-profit organizations, educational, or governmental agencies. “Local” is defined as organizations which exist in Summit County.
At its discretion, the Library may distribute newspapers and other materials which are provided free of charge to the Library. The Library reserves the right to make exceptions for information based on regional interest.
Authorization must be received by the Library’s Marketing and Communications Department prior to delivering materials. Priority will be given to:
- Library services, programs and events;
- Friends of the Library associations;
- Dated materials related to events within each branch or Main Library’s immediate community;
- Units of Government.
Materials for non-library organizations will be displayed up to the day of the event or for up to 60 days from the time of first displaying them.
All distribution will be done by Akron-Summit County Public Library staff. Individuals requesting posting or distribution shall not themselves post or leave materials in the distribution area. Unauthorized materials will be discarded. Distribution of materials is not an endorsement by the Akron-Summit County Public Library.
The following materials will not be accepted:
- Materials inconsistent with the Library’s Collection Development policy.
- Campaign literature for a political candidate.
- Campaign literature for political issues unless authorized by the Board of Trustees. Non-partisan election information, such as the League of Women Voters’ pamphlets, is allowed.
- Materials exclusively promoting for-profit and commercial products or services.
- Materials asking Library visitors to sign a petition or letter.
- Posters or flyers larger than 11 x 17.
- Handwritten materials.
The Marketing and Communications Department is responsible for the administration of the policy on a system-wide basis. Branch managers are responsible for the administration of this policy within their facility.
Approved by the Board of Trustees on May 31, 2007
- After reviewing the Library Material Distribution Policy, please complete the Distribution of Non-Library Materials Request Form. Please note: completed forms must be approved by the Library’s Marketing and Communications Department before materials may be dropped off at the Library.
- Once you have completed the request form, FAX BOTH the flyer and request form to the attention of:
Marketing and Communications | Fax: 330-643-9094
After review of your request, you will be contacted by the Library’s Marketing Department. If your request is approved, you may arrange to deliver your materials.
- You will receive a signed faxed copy of the Request Form as confirmation. Please attach a copy of the signed Request Form to your materials before delivering them to the Shipping and Receiving Department at Main Library. All distribution materials must be delivered to Main Library’s SHIPPING AND RECEIVING DEPARTMENT. No exceptions.
- Approved materials may be delivered on the 1st and 3rd MONDAY of each month between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. to Main Library’s Shipping and Receiving Department entrance located on E. Mill St. between S. High and S. Main streets. in downtown Akron.
- A maximum of (10) flyers and (1) poster not exceeding 11” x 17” may be delivered per location selected. A maximum of (25) brochures or newsletters may be distributed at each location. Materials must be securely pre-bundled to ensure delivery.
- Unapproved materials delivered to the Shipping Department will be discarded.
- Handwritten flyers/posters will not be accepted.
- Please allow two to three weeks for distribution of materials throughout the library system.
Should you have any questions regarding this free service, please call the Library’s Marketing and Communications Department at 330-643-9091.