Instantly borrow free digital movies, music, ebooks and more, 24/7 with your library card. Simple to access and use, without the hassle of having to return the items you’ve borrowed, all you need is your library card, a web browser, smart phone or tablet to get started. The freedom you want is here, now.
How do I sign up for Hoopla?
- Visit the website
- Click Sign Up, and select Akron-Summit County Public Library as your home library.
- You will have to enter your library card number, your library card PIN, a valid email address (remember one email address per library card) and create a password.
- Click Sign Up Now button and you are ready to go!
Why can't I register multiple cards on one email address? I already have a Hoopla account for another library and it would be easier to remember one email login for both cards.
Unfortunately you can't streamline everything into one email address. Hoopla treats all the cards on an account as one. Regardless of which library you select in a drop down list on the account, all the cards on that account will be charged for each checkout. To make sure you have access to all your available checkouts, use a different email address for each card.
Can I use Hoopla in the library?
You are able to stream Hoopla content on library computers, but remember the time limits are still in place.
Which devices can I use to access Hoopla?
You can access content in the following ways:
- On your home computer through the Hoopla website - Internet Explorer 8 and 9, Firefox version 8 and newer, Google Chrome, Safari.
- On a library computer - but remember time limits!
- On a smart phone with the Hoopla app - iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5C, 5S, and Android phones.
- On a tablet or other mobile device with the Hoopla app - iPod Touch 4th Gen or newer, iPad 2 and newer, and Android devices with Android OS 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and newer.
What kind of content can I access through Hoopla?
Hoopla provides commercial free streaming audio visual content, ebooks and comics appropriate for adults, teens and children. There's something for everyone! Music and audiobooks are available on the same release date as they are in regular stores and online. Many older and classic titles are available too.
How long can I access my title?
Borrowing periods for items are as follows
- Movies/TV - 3 Days
- Music - 7 Days
- Audiobooks - 21 days
- ebooks - 21 Days
- Comics - 21 Days
How many items can I check out?
There is no limit as to how many items you can have out at a time, but you may only have 15 checkouts total per month. So if you take all 15 out at once, you're done until the month rolls over.
When does the month begin?
Hoopla is based on the calendar month. Your monthly allowance of 10 checkouts resets the last day of the month at 7:01 PM Eastern using UTC - Universal Time Coordinate. UTC is not affected by daylight saving time and will stay the same all year long.
How do I know how many titles I have left this month to check out?
To find out how many items you have borrowed during the current month as well as the number of items you may still borrow, go to Account Notes:
- On a computer: Click on your email address (on the top right of the screen) and click on Account Notes.
- Android app: Go to Settings >> Account Notes >> Monthly Usage
- Apple app: Go to Settings >> Lending History