The Akron-Summit County Public Library is comprised of Main Library in downtown Akron, 18 branch locations in the City of Akron and in Summit County, two bookmobiles, and a van that provides cart-based service to lobbies of residential buildings. Main Library is the home of the administrative offices. The Library provides access to nearly 2 million items in its collection and, through the SearchOhio and OhioLINK consortia, to more than 75 million items in the collections of member public libraries and Ohio's college and university libraries.
Download our Organizational Chart
Library Statistics 2017
Population of Legal Service Area: 377,588
Visitors to library facilities: 2.2 million
Registered borrowers: 303,290
Program/Meeting Attendance: 313,132
Items available: 2 million
Items borrowed: 4.9 million
To review all of our current library statistics, download our 2017 Akron-Summit County Public Library Fact Sheet .
With the Main Library in downtown Akron, two bookmobiles, a Mobile Service van, and 18 branch locations throughout Summit County the system has 21 physical public service outlets. Main Library is 270,000 square feet. Average branch size is 12,000 square feet. Total square feet for Main and Branch Libraries: 442,807.
The Library provides numerous community spaces including a 425-seat auditorium, computer training labs at Main Library, a bookstore operated by the Friends of Main Library, and branch library meeting rooms that are available for non-profit and community groups.
Innovative Programs & Services at a Glance
- After-School Snacks and Programming: Feeding the body and the mind through nutritious snacks (in collaboration with the Akron Canton Regional Food Bank), homework help, relationship building and informal education activities.
- NatureConnect: Indoor and outdoor public learning spaces for nature programming, unstructured exploration, and the recharging of mind and body in a fast-paced world through observation, investigation, and play.
- Akron Mini-Maker Faire: A family-friendly event to make, create, invent, learn, craft, recycle, think, and play, presented by the Akron‑Summit County Public Library and Maker Media. Inspiration through arts, crafts, science, technology, engineering, and innovation.
- Tutor.com provides live online tutoring for students and adults with an Akron-Summit County Public Library card. Tutor.com offers homework help and test preparation for students of all ages as well as career assistance. This service is available daily from 3 to 11 pm.
- Lynda.com provides library cardholders access to thousands of online courses and more than 250,000 video tutorials. Participants can enhance their business, software, technology and creative skills with the online teaching tool.