The Akron-Summit County Public Library is comprised of Main Library in downtown Akron, 17 branch locations in the City of Akron and in Summit County, two bookmobiles, and a van that provides cart-based service to lobbies of residential buildings. Main Library is the home of the administrative offices. The Library provides access to nearly 2 million items in its collection and, through the SearchOhio and OhioLINK consortia, to more than 75 million items in the collections of member public libraries and Ohio's college and university libraries.
Download our Organizational Chart
Library Statistics 2016
Population of Legal Service Area: 377,588
Visitors to library facilities: 2.5 million
Registered borrowers: 282,917
Program attendance: 258,563
Items available (Books, CDs, DVDs): 1.7 million
Library Items Borrowed: 4.9 million
To review all of our current library statistics, download our 2016 Akron-Summit County Public Library Fact Sheet .
With the Main Library in downtown Akron, two bookmobiles, a Mobile Service van, and 17 branch locations throughout Summit County the system has 21 physical public service outlets. Main Library is 270,000 square feet and the average branch size is 12,000 square feet. (Old branch library locations averaged 4,000 - 4,500 sq. ft.) Total square feet for Main and Branch Libraries: 442,807.
The Main Library provides numerous community spaces including a 425-seat auditorium, computer training labs, and a bookstore operated by the Friends of Main Library. Branch library meeting rooms are available for non-profit and community groups.
Innovative Programs & Services at a Glance
- After-School Snacks and Programming: Feeding the body and the mind through nutritious snacks (in collaboration with the Akron Canton Regional Food Bank), homework help, relationship building and informal education activities.
- NatureConnect: Indoor and outdoor public learning spaces for nature programming, unstructured exploration, and the recharging of mind and body in a fast-paced world through observation, investigation, and play.
- Geekfest Mini-comicon: Fandom for the whole family! Cosplay contests, arts and crafts and more.
- Akron Mini-Maker Faire: A family-friendly event to make, create, invent, learn, craft, recycle, think, and play, presented by the Akron-Summit County Public Library and Maker Media. Inspiration through arts, crafts, science, technology, engineering, and innovation.
- Microbusiness Center: Provides business training, educational resources, and individualized direction to entrepreneurs, students, and established business owners. It also offers co-working space to contemplate, cultivate or expand a business or business idea.
- TechZone@Main: A unique space to make and create with a recording studio, 3D printer, laser engraver, vinyl printer, photo studio, video and audio transfer station, sewing machine, and button make.